Tag Archives: steamer

The last of the wallpaper

Those of you with greater (really… much greater) than average powers of observation may have noticed something in my last post about our fancy new fireplace (which is still up there in my Top 2 list of best things this winter)… we no longer have wallpaper in our lounge.

Or the front bedroom.

Actually… there is NO WALLPAPER left in our entire house! In all the long renovation that this has been, that feels like quite an achievement.

It also feels like this has the potential to be the most mundane post of all time, but for posterity’s sake, I think I need to document “the final wallpaper removal” here. After 5 years of living the “dream” – although it only lasted 2 years in the “dream” dream?! – the end is in sight. And if only for myself and my great grandchildren one day, I’ma gonna keep at this until we’re done!

So… photos. Short and sweet. The lounge:

0703_50040703-08.18 0703-08.27And the front bedroom (formerly known as the green bedroom):0703_5008 0703-12.03

It seems everyone has a horror story or two about wallpaper stripping, but honestly, since we remembered there are such things as wallpaper steamers, it’s far from our worst reno experience. We did 80% of the lounge one Friday night, and finished that and the bedroom the next morning. It even works ok on painted paper, and makes very quick work of the backing paper that never, ever comes off with the top layer. It’s around $30 for a day’s hire – definitely a better option than various concoctions in spray bottles and fingernails.

So we’re living with less than perfect 50s plasterboard walls right now, but embracing the edgy kind of vibe while we have it…
0703_5073 0703-02.11Because I’ve just booked a plasterer in for next week!

Have a great weekend.

Master bedroom makeover: Wall prep

We are in the middle of a week of plastering and sanding, and I’m too scared to open the door to the bedroom for fear of a dust explosion happening through the rest of the house. I put up with a mess of dust through the living room once, and I don’t want to do it again!

Last time we talked about this room reno we had demolished the wardrobe and were starting on removing the wallpaper. But it wasn’t going well remember?

0508_1133

 

And then we remembered there was this great invention called a wallpaper steamer! For less than $25 for a days hire I convinced Andre we should at least try it.

I’m not sure what was going through his head but he was all for carrying on with our spray and chip method for the next three months.

Buuuuuttt… look who took over. Power tool – it’s only natural. And a few hours later I had to forcibly remove the steamer head from his hand because it was way past bedtime.0605_1167 0605_1168

Once again, I was on clean up duties. But I was content to lean on my broom and watch that wallpaper coming off in strips, not chips!

And the next day we were done with a couple of hours still to spare before we had to return the steamer soooo… the bathroom got dealt with too. This wallpaper is of the nineties trying to be twenties era. It had to go.0605_1173

This was possibly/probably a paper especially for use in a bathroom as it seemed to have quite a “plasticky” top layer, which I ended up pulling off before Andre used the steamer to remove the backing. It all came off really easily, and of course it helped that we only had the top half of a small room to do.0605_1178 0605_1181 0605_1182

But apart from cleaning up that mess, the bathroom has had no more attention for now.

So back to the bedroom. I mentioned last time there was icky stuff to be found under the paper in certain areas. This is the dampest and darkest of all the rooms in the house, and with drafty timber windows and no insulation until recently I wasn’t surprised, but I was still well and truly disgusted.

So after a bit of research and pulling on some latex gloves with a satisfying snap I held my breath and got rid of it as best I could. I started by spraying it with a water/vinegar/tea tree oil solution. I did this two or three times over a couple of days. Apparently that’s all you usually need to do to treat it (slash kill it, although how do you tell when it’s dead?!) and wiping it is maybe not good because it can cause the spores to spread. But of course we need to paint these walls and I’m not painting over dead mould, no matter how dead it is.

So I compromised and did my best to kill it before I then cleaned it up with rags doused in the same solution. Those rags got binned immediately – nasty things.

For luck I went back for a third step and sprayed again to ensure any leftovers were well dead.
0605_1184

In the meantime we spent an evening doing some wardrobe visualising with the doors and shelves of the old wardrobe. We are trying to decide whether to use woodgrain on the sides of the wardrobe, or on the doors. Or not at all.0605_1204

All other spare time in the last couple of weeks has been put into sugar soaping. I started out with this job thinking sugar soap was some miracle cleaner that would disappear all gluey mess as soon as I touched my cloth to the wall. Not so my friends, not so.

I scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed until my arms ached and my fingers were raw.

0605_12660605_1260

You can see below the difference it makes though – the left side is sugar soaped, the right is still waiting…0605_1207But I’m done, and now it’s Andre’s job to plaster and patch up and then finally sand smooth these four dodgy walls!
0605_1269And I don’t envy him one bit. I’ll take sugar soaping every time!