Since Master W moved out of his cot, I’ve been searching for a simple striped duvet cover that costs a whole lot less than this one.
It was a fruitless search. But a rack of table cloths at Spotlight caught my eye a few weeks ago. My brain said “Ah hah!”. And then it said “Oooh! Lookie here – one blue and one red! Perfect because I can make up my mind which to use later… and then change it!” And then it said “Oh 150x300cm – plenty big enough…” And then it said “Yes, marked down – $10 each! That’s a perfect duvet cover for $20 give or take!” As for how to turn two table cloths into one duvet cover, well I had a vague idea, and a foolproof back up in the name of my mother-in-law.
But first, plan A. A single duvet cover size (in NZ) is 140 x 210cm. At 150 x 300cm these table cloths were just fine. I opted to leave the width at 150cm, and took 80cm off the end of each one – allowing myself a forgiving 10cm each way.
Once cut, I remembered I should have washed them first… having no idea if they were prewashed. So my cut edge got a bit messy… hmmmm.
A quick trim lost me another 5mm, but no matter – we’re still 95mm up in theory! Because I’m not good with straight lines, and I wanted to give hem tape a go, I took the easy way out. This Heat n Bond tape was about $9 from Spotlight. It worked a charm, but I did find I had to double the time it said for pressing to ensure a good bond.
Then it was to this trusty vintage Pfaff which came to us via Andre’s Oma… complete with an instruction booklet in Dutch. Thank goodness for pictures!
Hmmm… here’s why I should have measured 220cm from one end rather than 80cm from the other. The tablecloths were not both 300cm as stated. A second trim and another go at hem tape and I’m minus another 5cm. Starting to cut it a little fine…
At this point I was feeling a bit embarrassed actually, and annoyed with myself. So I went full steam ahead to get it finished and “THEN I will see if it’s going to fit!” So there are no photos of me sewing up the end or adding a zip (you can be thankful… it was my first zip since the first one I ever did at intermediate school sewing class). The end of the story goes well… zip works, duvet fits (just) and I’m pretty proud of my efforts! I had about 30 seconds to give it a trial run before the kids came back from a walk with Dad…
At less than $35 plus a couple of hours work, I have just the duvet cover I was looking for. Plus a bit more because I have a navy or a red option. I’m not sure yet which side will get the most use – it depends entirely what I come up with for Miss E’s big girl bed I guess. But the multicoloured way things are looking right now, either one works just as well.
Note 1: The pillow and cushions make an appearance for the purposes of these photos only – Master W sleeps right on the bed. Until he asks for a pillow I’m not giving him one. It’s simpler that way!
Note 2: Yes, the yarn wrapped W got mauled by a certain small boy. He might have to wait a few birthdays for another one.