And so continues (and ends) the saga that is our raised garden along the front and side of our house.
Part 1 left us with a beginning and an end to our wall, but a large gap in the middle.
So one fine Saturday Andre got to work again:
Built some more formwork:
And fixed it to the existing wall:
Once again he used some heavy duty bits to hold it altogether:
Then got the concrete mixer onto the job:
And with his little helper the wall took shape:
A couple of days later the formwork came down, to reveal a complete wall!
Then one day while I had a moment to myself I got out the bucket of bitumen to add a bit of waterproofing to the inside of the wall:
Then it got a bit exciting after that… a trailer load of beautiful dark “Living Earth More Than Garden Mix”, from NZLS. We ended up going back for a second trailer load at a total cost of $120.
We removed a good part of the pea straw before we dumped the soil in, so we could reuse it on top:
Then we got shovelling:
To protect the lower trunk of the bay tree and give it some breathing space we put some blocks around:
Once we plant around it, and even in the holes in the blocks I think it will pretty well cover up this little oddity in our garden!
Here’s an overall view, but before we cleaned up properly!
As you can see there were a few rough patches that needed some extra attention:
But finally we got it done! And tomorrow I can show you how it looks with plants…!