Hey thanks for stopping in last week, even though I was on a self-imposed blogging break. I appreciate it!
There has been a few instagram (@duckeggblueblog) pics - which incidentally also end up on Facebook - of our front yard progress.
But if you’re like me, you’ll be wanting a step by step rundown all in one place so you can start at “hmmmm” and end up at “aahhhhh!” all in the one go.
So, remember we started here with pondering over the concrete turning bay in front of the house? It was very useful and meant we could both park in the drive and get in and out without shifting the other car. However, there is sooo much concrete around the house, and with the loss of the back lawn we were keen to make the front one as big as possible for kiddies (little and big) to run and play. Plus, there’s something nice about cars parked to the side of the house rather than right out in front. So Andre had a smashing good time (he’d probably disagree) and it was gone.
Next up was spraying out the existing lawn, which was more weed than lawn because we haven’t given it any tlc, knowing it’s time was limited anyway.
Because we got shovel-fright at the start of the next step we handed over $200+ and traded up for a digger. Money well spent!
The following week was a bit more exciting for me. Diggers – pah! Just give me some grass seed! We were up and into it early, starting with removing all the leaves, sticks and roots that had come uncovered.
Then the pile of topsoil that had been sitting in a gluggy mess all week got spread and Andre did his level best to make our lawn look super smart. Master W thought the roller was almost as good as last weeks digger!
Once Andre was satisfied with how things were looking (yup, I did a good job finishing off while he went to get the last load of topsoil) he compacted it with this hired lawn roller.
A final layer of topsoil spread over the compacted soil, and we’re ready for seeding. Whoop whoop!
A bit of browsing around led me to Newton’s Seed, in Onehunga. They’re a dedicated grass seed company (claiming to have the freshest seed) and their prices were good. I also appreciated a quick chat with them to ensure we were on the right track with our chosen seed and our method of preparing the soil and spreading the seed. They recommended mixing the seed with a bit of sand to help with distribution. Their Supalawn seed is good for family lawns which get a bit of wear and tear, and can handle a lack of tlc. So let’s hope it’s going to prove itself! (It’s also a mixture of rye and fescue, which I mentioned as recommended back here.)
Here’s me with my spreading action going on.
Still loving those polka dot gumboots!
This is how it looked with all the seed spread – oooh promising!
Somewhere I read that it was a good idea to rake over the seed very gently, and the guy at Newton Seed backed that up, but he said to use the back of the rake and only just cover the seed.
So that’s what I tried to do!
With that done, it was clean up time… so… much…. mud!
We strung up plastic bags and some blank cds in an attempt to keep the birds away. I think it helped, although there were always birds munching away whenever I stepped out the front door. Maybe just a few less than there would have been otherwise?!
A week of warm temperatures and sunshine mixed with gentle rain followed, which was perfect lawn growing weather!
But just as the shoots started to come up… Bam! Thunderstorms and lightning and buckets of rain came persisting down. There were puddles all over the front yard and I contemplated making some little origami lifeboats to try and save the drowning seed. Lots of it got washed across the drive… So, right now we’re just waiting. The sun is shining again and another week will give us more of an idea about whether we need to resow. A bit disappointing, but not a major, and if we do need to give it another seeding, it’ll make for a sturdier lawn in the long run. I’ll keep you posted!
Here’s a little cost breakdown:
Concrete cutter and jackhammer to break up turning bay: $0 (courtesy of Andre’s employer)
Truck and dumping of concrete: $0 (courtesy of Andre’s employer)
Kiwicare weed spray: $25ish from Mitre10
Digger hire: $200+
Topsoil: 3 loads at $60 each = $180
Lawn roller hire: $20
Grass seed and sand: $26
By far the biggest cost was in the digger and the topsoil, which was really only necessary because we were reshaping and levelling the lawn. So if you’re just wanting to give your lawn a spruce up you could scrape off the surface by hand and spread a thin layer of fresh topsoil – saving more than $300. Best to venture into this in the Autumn (Fall) so judging by the drop in temperature here the last couple of days it’s a bit late to do anything this year. Put it on next years list!
I’ll be back in a week or so hopefully with some more lush greenness to show you! In the meantime, I’m excited about some planning for the backyard makeover. More on that later in the week. And don’t forget instagram (@duckeggblueblog) and Facebook for some in between blog post action.